Come join the voices of the Peoria Area Civic Chorale!
When you are prepared for an audition, please complete the online application found here.
The Peoria Area Civic Chorale is currently accepting audition applications for all voice parts for An American Family Christmas 2024. The concert series will be hosted at the Caterpillar Performing Arts Auditorium at Five Points Washington on the evenings of December 13 and 14, 2024 at 7:30pm and Sunday, December 15, at 2:30 pm.
New Singers: New singers must audition either by pre-recorded video or by attending an “in-person” audition held at First Christian Church at 6400 N. University in Peoria on Tuesday, August 20, 2024. Live auditions may be recorded for reference.
Eligibility: Experienced choral singers from high school age (junior or senior standing) through adult.
Application: Complete an audition application
Procedure for an “In-Person” Audition:
- Complete and submit the online audition application prior to August 18, 2024. Once submitted, the PACC Business Office will call you to coordinate an audition time.
- Bring two songs of your own choosing (i.e., anything from a hymn tune to an operatic aria or a folk melody to a popular song).
- You may not be asked to sing both selections in their entirety, but obviously you must be prepared to do so. Although memorization is not required, you should select pieces that you feel best represent your current musicianship.
- Bring two copies of each selection: one copy for the artistic director and the second copy for our piano accompanist.
- You may be asked to demonstrate music reading skills (rhythmic and tonal) and tonal memory. The excerpts used in the audition will test your sense of pitch, rhythm, and ability to self-correct. Keep in mind that very few singers regard music reading (especially reading music at first sight) as their strength!
- It’s advised that you arrive 5-10 minutes before your audition in order to compose yourself or briefly vocalize before entering the actual audition. There will be a designated warm-up area and a waiting area. Auditions typically last between 10-15 minutes.
Procedure for a “Virtual” Audition:
- Virtual auditions may be submitted at any time throughout the year. However, those interested in auditioning for the Fall 2024 season, must submit by August 19, 2024.
- Complete and submit the online audition application.
Prepare and video/audio record two contrasting songs (art song, aria, folk song, hymn, or musical theater piece) and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Monday, August 19, 2024.
ABOUT THE PEORIA AREA CIVIC CHORALE: The Peoria Area Civic Chorale (PACC) is an auditioned, community-based vocal ensemble of professional and dedicated avocational musicians from throughout the greater Central Illinois area, who are passionately committed to bringing a diverse program of choral literature excitingly to life. Of great pride to the organization is the acknowledgement that throughout its existence since 1982, the PACC has developed the reputation for being an ensemble of consequence, recognized with enthusiasm throughout the region and the State of Illinois for its dedication to music education and the highest standards of musical performance in the presentation of choral repertoire in all styles and genres. In addition, throughout its history, the PACC has consistently remained a strong advocate for collaborative efforts with many other Central Illinois performance organizations including the Peoria Symphony Orchestra, the Central Illinois Jazz Orchestra, the Heartland Festival Orchestra, Opera Illinois, Peoria Ballet, the Air National Guard Band of the Midwest, and most recently, WTVP.
COMMON QUESTIONS ABOUT PACC AUDITIONS AND THE ENSEMBLE
Who attends the “In-Person” Audition?
When are the Audition Results Available?
You may not be invited to join the Peoria Area Civic Chorale because of a variety of reasons including, but not limited to, an (1) incompatible timbre for the existing blend of the ensemble, (2) insufficient vocal training, (2) poorly prepared audition music, (3) another candidate vying for the same position presented a stronger audition or, (4) you are auditioning for a voice section that is currently not in need of expansion.
If I am not offered singing membership following my audition, may I re-audition at a later date?
If you auditioned and were not offered membership, you may re-apply following one full, performance season of the Chorale (i.e., either fall or spring). For instance, if you unsuccessfully auditioned in August, you may re-audition in January.
What are the typical expenses for singing membership?
When/where are the ensemble’s rehearsals?
The Peoria Area Civic Chorale rehearses on Tuesday evenings from 7:00-9:00 p.m. at First Christian Church on 6400 North University from mid-August through mid-December and then again from mid-January through mid-May.
The Civic Chorale’s annual An American Family Christmas is presented in December while an annual spring concert is presented late April or early May. On occasion, the Peoria Area Civic Chorale also collaborates with area symphonies in the production of major, choral/orchestral masterworks.
What is PACC Week?
- Monday: Last rehearsal at our regular location to solidify music memorization.
- Tuesday: Tech night (lights & sound) and the ensemble’s first night in the performance venue.
- Wednesday: 2nd TECH night in the performance venue
- Thursday: Dress rehearsal (full concert dress required for pictures and full performance)
- Friday-Sunday: Friday night opening with three evening performances in December and two evening performances in the Spring.
Do singers find memorization an overwhelming challenge?
The thought of memorizing music can be daunting for many potential ensemble members, yet memorization determines the singer’s ability to be responsive to the conductor, to sing more freely, and to be more communicative with the audience. The good news is that within the PACC rehearsal environment, music memorization has always been an easily achievable ensemble goal mitigated by audio rehearsal files that contain all vocal parts with individual parts highlighted.
SINGER RE-ADMISSION POLICY
Any Peoria Area Civic Chorale singer who has missed a concert season(s) but desires a return to active singing membership, will be required to re-apply for active membership with the Artistic Director via email communication at least one month prior to the start of the concert season in which s/he wishes to return. Re-applications will be handled on a case-by-case manner and determined primarily by the current musical needs of the Peoria Area Civic Chorale. Singers who wish to be considered for re-admission to active membership will not be required to re-audition.